Cooking sweet potatoes isn’t as difficult as you might think and you can quickly learn how to cook fresh sweet potatoes easily by boiling on the hob or baking them in the oven.
That make an interesting change from using normal potatoes and are considered to be better for you as they are lower on the Glycemic Index than normal potatoes or baked white potatoes which are very high at over double the height of sweet potatoes
They are also a very good source of Vitamin A and C, They also have vitamin B6, B1, B2, copper, manganese and pantothenic acid etc.
Cooking Tip: If you want to peel your sweet photos it is easier to do it after they are cooked as sweet potatoes are harder to peel when they are raw than white potatoes. Their skins are quite tough. You are ok if you have a really sharp knife but if you find this difficult then wait until they are cooked or just leave the skins on. Or use a potato peeler.
Quick Find Contents
How to Boil Sweet Potatoes on the Hob
Cooking sweet potatoes on the hob is really easy and much like cooking normal potatoes. The only thing you have to watch out for is they go from hard to too soft very quickly. They need to be firm but not hard.
- Wash and check potatoes.
- Peel if you are peeling before cooking. Cut off the ends as they can be tough. Cut into quarters.
- Place your potatoes into boiling water. Make sure the water covers your potatoes.
- Bring back to the boil.
- Cover with lid and then simmer for 9-12 minutes on a medium heat.
- Drain your potatoes.
- If you haven’t peeled them and want to peel them now.
How to Easily Cook Baked Sweet Potatoes
These potatoes are cooked whole.
- Heat your oven to 200C or 180 for Fan ovens.
- Wash and check your potatoes for blemishes and damage.
- Line a tray with silver foil.
- Pick your potatoes with a fork in several places.
- Put your potatoes on the tray and pop into the oven for about 35-45 minutes depending on their size.
- Check your potatoes are ready by gently stabbing with a knife. If they are ready the knife will go in easily.
- Now they are ready you can cut them down the middle and fill with butter or baked beans etc