How to cook new potatoes on the stove by simply boiling them or with mint, butter, parsley or chives.
Or for added convenience or a change why not cook them in the microwave.
There is nothing quite like digging up new potatoes from the soil, their smell, the barely formed skins then bringing them straight to the kitchen washing them off and cooking them immediately.
It doesn’t take long and is really easy to do. New potatoes can have things done to them but if they are fresh they don’t really need a lot. If they come straight from the garden they don’t even need butter. They taste so delicious and almost melt in your mouth. Of course, you can add mint or butter etc if you want to for variety.
Quick Find Contents
How to Cook New Potatoes
How to Boil New Potatoes on the Stove
- Wash your new potatoes. Rinse off all the dirt if dug from the garden. Give a quick check for blemishes.
- You can either scrub to remove the loose peel or scrape off the skins or leave them on depending on your preferences. It is a good idea to leave the skis on as they have a lot of nutrition and it saves time. They shouldn’t really need peeling.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil or add boiling water to the pan.
- Add a small amount salt if you prefer. I rarely use it for straightforward boiling but many people do.
- Pop on the lid.
- Allow your baby potatoes to simmer for approximately 8-12 minutes, reduce the heat if needed. It doesn’t take long for new potatoes to cook so if they are small check them after about 7 minutes.
- Test to see if they are ready with a small knife if it slides in with ease they are ready.
- Drain off the water as soon as they are slightly soft and cooked.
- They are now ready to serve.
How to Cook Baby New Potatoes with Mint, Butter, Chives or Parsley
- Cook as above
- Once the baby potatoes are ready to serve, drain out all the water.
- Now immediately add your chosen extras. Add a bit of butter or mint over the tops. Do this immediately to keep the flavour in.
- If you prefer you can mix your butter or oil ith the herbs to make a dressing.
How to Cook new Potatoes in the Microwave
- Wash your baby new potatoes and rinse off all the dirt if any. Give them a quick check for blemishes.
- You can either scrape off the skins or leave them on or just give a quick brush to get rid of any loose peel.
- Cut the potatoes in half.
- Place into a microwavable bowl along with 60ml of water (about 2 fl oz).
- Add a lid but leave a vent.
- Microwave on high (800W) for approximately 7-8 minutes. Check if they are ready and adjust the time accordingly.
- Remove and drain the water.
- Add any additions like butter or mint etc